Recipe – Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Last week we whipped up some pizzas with a cauliflower crust in the Abbey test kitchen and the results were amazing! You can barely tell the difference between a bread crust and the cauliflower. We recommend making a few mini pizzas with this recipe or try cooking them a little longer than the recommended time using a pizza stone or a special pizza pan that will really crisp up the bottom. A brown bottom was our biggest issue with the recipe but we think making smaller pizzas or using a grated pan will be an easy fix. If you try the recipe let us know how it goes!
Servings: 2 Small Pizzas
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 18min
- 1LARGE head cauliflower (or 2+ cups shredded cauliflower)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese (or try another kind!)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil marinara sauce (or pizza sauce)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- Favorite pizza toppings
1. Prepare the crust: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with nonstick spray (or use a nonstick surface). Shred the cauliflower into small crumbles. You can use the food processor but be careful not to turn the cauliflower into soup. You’ll need a total of about 2 cups or so of cauliflower crumbles (which is about a large head of cauliflower. Place the cauliflower crumbles in a large bowl and microwave them (dry) for 8 minutes. Give the cauliflower a chance to cool.
In a medium bowl, mix the cauliflower crumbles (about 1 1/2 cups since they shrink after cooking) with the remaining crust ingredients. Pat the “crust” into a 9 to 12-inch round on the prepared pan or two 5” crusts. Spray the crust lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 15 minutes (or until golden). Remove the crust from the oven and turn the heat up to broil.
2. Prepare the pizza: Spread the sauce on top of the baked crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge. Sprinkle 1/4 cup cheese on top. Add your toppings and, spreading them out around the pizza. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Broil the pizza 3 to 4 minutes, or until the toppings are hot and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Cut into 6 slices and serve immediately.
Recipe adopted From: Recipe Girl